Mater Dei will be a spirit-filled community by focusing on campus ministry programs and service.
Owner: Campus Minister
Team: Catholic Identity Committee
Measures: Student participation in service program, full day retreats for all students, student surveys after retreats and speakers
- Establish the position of Campus Minister to direct, coordinate, and/or lead liturgical celebrations, retreats, guest speakers, and prayer experiences
- Develop a service program based on best practices that connects service learning and Catholic social teaching during the 2018-2019 school year and implemented during the 2019-2020 school year
- Provide annual day-long retreats for all students beginning with the 2019-2020 school year
- Provide an optional overnight retreat opportunity for students in 2019-2020
- Engage a national level Catholic speaker for students on an annual basis
- Offer prayer experiences beyond all school masses and class retreats, including small group bible/faith sharing and reconciliation
- Engage pastors of parishes with our feeder schools to celebrate mass, provide reconciliation, and meet at least annually at Mater Dei
- Educate coaches about ways to help the formation of their students
Mater Dei will advance academic programs by focusing on data, professional development, curriculum alignment, and niche courses.
Team: Academic Committee
Measures: Indiana Advanced Placement Award, standardized testing data, new academic offerings
1. Focus efforts on the Advanced Placement program
a. Review course offerings and continue to add a new AP course each year
b. Require annual AP professional development for all AP teachers
c. Provide AP course resources to teachers as requested
d. Analyze AP data to increase participation and pass rates
2. Create course offerings that are unique from other schools in the area
a. Utilize the Academic Committee to review what courses we offer, what other schools offer, and those allowed by the Indiana Department of Education.
3. Offer single section courses during the “0” Block (before school)
a. While scheduling, consider offering specific classes before school to accommodate students’ schedules.
b. The first “0” block course will be offered in the fall of 2018
4. Develop the position of Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs that is devoted to enhancing curriculum, instruction, student performance data, and professional development.
a. This position will evaluate half of all teachers and provide mentoring for new teachers
b. Professional development programs will be developed based on student performance data
5. Maintain the academic scorecard with an annual review by the committee, administration, and faculty.
a. This scorecard will be updated by the Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs
6. Assess needs to improve facilities that will directly enhance student success
a. During the 2018-2019 school year, faculty will be asked to submit facility needs to enhance instruction and learning. The president and business manager will prioritize and work to find funding in the operating budget or future campaign.
b. During the 2018-2019 school year, faculty, staff, students, parents, and coaches will be asked to submit facility needs to enhance athletic and extracurricular success. The president and business manager will prioritize and work to find funding in the operating budget or future campaign.
7. Encourage athletic and extracurricular involvement for all students based on their interest and ability levels.
a. New students should be strongly encouraged to get involved immediately upon enrollment at Mater Dei to ensure a successful social transition
Mater Dei will ensure the safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors by providing training and making facility improvements.
Team: Safety Committee
Measures: Annual active shooter drills, quarterly safety committee meetings, random drug testing frequency, new parking spaces
1. Conduct an annual active shooter drill with faculty, staff, and students in collaboration with the Evansville Police Department.
2. Apply for Indiana Homeland Safety Grant to enhance building security.
a. Install Staff Alerter system and electronic door access for all classroom and office doors that will allow automatic lockdowns during the 2018-2019 school year
3. Update security cameras and provide access to the Evansville Police Department.
a. Security cameras will be reviewed during the 2018-2019 school year and updates will be made during the 2019-2020 school year
4. Meet at least quarterly with the safety committee to audit building security.
a. The safety committee will include the school safety specialist, administrators, teachers, staff members, and the police liaison officer
5. Educate students about responsible behavior
a. Conduct regular random drug testing for students
b. Partner with Youth First to provide “The Truth is” alcohol and drug prevention during the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 school years
c. Bring in a speaker for students at least annually to discourage the dangers of drug and alcohol use.
d. Provide education to students about responsible social media use at least annually
e. Promote chastity with an annual program and throughout the school year
f. Prevent bullying through annual educational programs, counseling, and disciplinary action
6. Add parking to accommodate guests during and after school
a. Identify the number of parking spaces needed and the location for
b. Include this project in a future major gifts effort
Mater Dei will have a sustainable future by focusing on enrollment, planned giving, endowments, and stewardship of resources.
Enrollment SustainabilityOwner: Enrollment Manager
Team: Enrollment Committee
Measures: Enrollment, feeder school enrollment, international student enrollment
Financial SustainabilityOwner: Business Manager
Team: Finance Committee
Measures: Tuition increases, audit report
Development and Planned Giving SustainabilityOwner: Director of Advancement
Team: Development Committee
Measures: $10 million endowment corpus, endowment distributions, 10 new Ave Maria Society members each year, capital campaign dollars raised
1. Develop, clearly articulate, and intentionally communicate the value proposition for a Mater Dei education
a. Establish the Communications Director position that will be responsible for social media during the 2018-2019 school year.
b. Focus on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram communication and engagement.
c. Utilize all mediums for communicating the value of a Mater Dei education
2. Attract 10 international students for the 2019-2020 school year
a. Work with exchange student company to determine best practices for finding host families.
b. Explore new options to incentivize host families.
c. Promote host family opportunities through multiple mediums: social media, print, events, website, etc.
3. Target enrollment efforts towards undecided feeder school students in 4th-8th grade
a. When feeder school students indicate they are undecided about their high school on the feeder school survey, additional outreach is necessary including a personal phone call or meeting with the Enrollment Manager
4. Enhance social media presence and coverage of important school events
1. Analyze budget to maximize cost savings opportunities
a. Identify major expense areas and explore different vendor choices
2. Prepare for financial audit in 2019-2020 by focusing on internal controls
a. Review internal controls with the assistance of the Board, Finance Committee, and administration.
b. Identify greatest areas of risk for fraud.
c. Communicate new procedures to faculty, staff, coaches, and volunteers.
Development and Planned Giving SustainabilityActions:
1. Focus development efforts on planned giving and growth of the Ave Maria Society
a. Include planned giving and endowment articles in all Red & Gold issues.
b. Create a working planned giving committee that meets twice a year.
c. Target planned giving prospects towards those with consistent giving
2. Conduct a Development Audit during the 2018-2019 school year
a. Hire a firm that can conduct the audit and provide information on staffing needs, processes for solicitation and acknowledgment of gifts, comparisons with similar institutions, and recommendations for the future
3. Plan for a future capital campaign that includes capital and endowment focus areas
a. Develop a list of needs and associated costs throughout the 2018-2019 school year